EDPMA fully supports the No Surprises Act and its patient protections.
We believe keeping patients out of the middle of payment disputes for out-of-network care is the right thing to do. We also believe in the balanced framework the law provided after years of discussion, debate, and bipartisan cooperation.
However, the regulations that were written to implement the law substantially altered the balances carefully crafted by Congress. Thus, these new imbalances are significant, are inconsistent with the law, and most importantly, the health care system is now threatened by the results. Compounded by health care workforce constraints, inflation, and a Medicare fee schedule that has not kept pace with inflation, the activities of commercial health insurers based on the No Surprises Act (NSA) are impacting the ability of medical practices to provide timely patient care.
Since 2021, EDPMA and others have consistently identified and offered solutions to fix the flawed implementation of the No Surprises. These practical and reasonable solutions not only fix the NSA, but also preserve patient access to timely care.
- 11.11.23 – EDPMA and ACEP Initial Response to Federal IDR Operations Proposed Rule
- 10.26.23 – EDPMA and ACEP Letter on the IDR Fee Proposed Rule
- 10.09.23 – Joint Statement on Portal Re-Opening
- 10.02.23 – EDPMA’s Statement For the Record, House Committee on Ways and Means
- 09.15.23 – EDPMA Recommendations To Fix The NSA
- 08.11.23 – EDPMA Concerned About IDR Portal Freeze After TMA II Ruling
- 07.10.23 – EDPMA and ACEP HELP Roundtable on NSA Follow-up
- 02.13.23 – EDPMA and ACEP Letter To Fix the IDR Admin Fees
- 01.19.23 – EDPMA and ACEP Follow Up To Fix the No Surprises Act
- 11.28.22 – EDPMA and ACEP Request To Require RARC Codes Under the No Surprises Act
- 06.21.22 – EDPMA and ACEP Identify Issues and Solutions Re: Surprise Billing First IFR
- 04.25.22 – EDPMA and ACEP Offer More Feedback to the IDR Portal
- 03.22.22 – EDPMA and ACEP Offers Feedback on the IDR Portal
- 12.06.21 – EDPMA and ACEP Comment on Surprise Billing, Part 2
- 11.11.21 – EDPMA and ACEP Identify Issues and Solutions: IDR Part 2
- 08.31.21 – EDPMA and ACEP Comment on Surprise Billing Part I IFR
- 08.10.21 – EDPMA and ACEP Identify Issues and Solutions to IDR Rulemaking
- 06.16.21 – EDPMA and ACEP Letter to OMB Regarding No Surprises Act Implementation
- 05.14.21 – EDPMA and ACEP Technical Comments on the No Surprises Act Implementation
- 03.24.21 – EDPMA and ACEP Comment on the Impact of the No Surprises Act on Emergency Care